First Day of School (2011 - 2012)
The first day of school is always such an exciting day! The kids have all looked forward to it for weeks... they've been counting down the days to the Friday we would start. I've been making plans and while I couldn't wait to get us back into the school routine I have also been a little bit nervous. Having 4 children in grades 3rd, 2nd, 1st and PreK is going to take a lot of time and it's going to require me to be completely organized to get it all done. Especially considering the kids activities that require us to be out of the house every evening and on Saturdays.
2011 - 2012
Alexis ~ 3rd Grade; Austin ~ 2nd Grade;
Rylee ~ 1st Grade; McKenzee Grace ~ PreK
The first day of school was AWESOME!!! We all had SO much fun! I did not plan a day of digging into the curriculum... the whole day was centered around having fun and going through the new books that we would be using throughout the year. As well as discussing goals, topics we would be covering and reward systems.
We started off the day with some pancakes :) Then the kids all changed in to their school outfits (because, as Rylee informed us, the first day of school is ALL ABOUT the outfit) and we snapped a quick pic of their first day!
* Every morning we begin with pledge/prayer. We talked about how each day I would pick a "helper"... this person would be able to hold the flags/bible for pledges, would lead us in prayer and would be the person who I called on throughout the day to help me. This person will be chosen based on the behavior from the previous day.
* Bible: We went over the bible verse chart. We also started learning the first bible verse (which, considering our first day of school was on a Friday, would be the bible verse for the following week).
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalm 119:11
We listened to (and sang along with) Steve Green's song "I Have Hidden Your Word".
* We spent about 45 minutes discussing science, history and geography and what topics we will be covering that year (and the fun we will be having). Boy were they full of questions! LOL!
* Then it was on to some fun worksheets... mazes, crossword puzzles, hidden pictures, etc... all with a back 2 school theme! Everything was printed from edhelper.com (my FAVORITE printable site)!
* We talked about the United States and how beautiful our world is. I sent each of them outside and they were to find something that they thought made our country beautiful. They loved this! I heard things from the trees, the cornfields, the clouds, the sun... the dog :)
* Each of the 3 older kids read a book to us and I read a picture book to all of them. Then we discussed their reading lists and how they would need to keep track of the books they read in their reading log.
* Craft: We made and laminated personalized bookmarks.
* Craft: Desktop Organizers
These turned out SO cute (although they took hours to make) and are PERFECT to hold all of their supplies. They keep crayons, glue, glue sticks, erasers on top. Inside they store extra pencils, boxes of markers and colored pencils, scissors, rulers, etc...
We had such a great day together! I am SO excited about our 2011 - 2012 school year and looking forward to all the fun we are going to have in the coming months
Posted in News